Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Good and the Bad

If I had to give myself a grade for today it would be a solid C. I could have done better, really there are a lot of things I could have done better today. I spend too much time on the computer when I'm home. Because of this, I'm going to limit my computer time to mornings when I wake up (it's a necessity with a cup of coffee!), and in the evening after the boys go to sleep. If I don't post my to-do list in the morning and I'm not working, I might post in the afternoon. Aside from that, I need to lock my laptop away upstairs where I can't easily access it!

Anyway, I did a bit today. I cooked breakfast and lunch and managed to clean everything up after. I even baked a "cake" with my oldest son today, and yet there is no trace of this event in my kitchen. Here's the "cake" in question... Big Top Cupcake FAIL!

So, back to my to-do list. I did not mop the kitchen floor. I did not finish straightening up the living room or the playroom, though I did put quite a bit away. I did not finish taking the Christmas tree down, but for good reason: the room is too messy to bring the ladder in to get the higher ornaments down! Embarassing, I know, but that's the point of this blog.

Now to my successes. I did clean in the closet, and for more than 20 minutes! I probably spent an hour in there today hanging up clothes, folding clothes, and sorting out his, mine, and the kiddos. It's difficult to tell how much progress has been made so I'm going to post the original picture along side of the one taken this evening. Whew, there's a lot of crap in there!


The second thing that I did was.... dun dun dun... clean off the laundry chair! I'm particularly proud of this because I did this after I came home this evening at 10pm. Usually I'm finished cleaning anything after 8pm, so this was a big deal. And before my husband left for work, he emptied out the dryer on the other recliner because the laundry chair was covered. But I cleaned that one off, too. The clothes are put away in their proper drawers. Except my husband's clothing because who knows which drawers he wants them in!

Third, the kitchen, as I stated earlier, is clean. In the foreground you'll see a strange black box. Don't worry, that's just a temperature gun. Our shiny, newish refrigerator is dying, so I had to check the temperature. Is 47 too high for a fridge? It feels warm. The milk, yogurt, and sour cream is on the back deck right now. In a few days my father in law will be bringing us a 20yr old fridge to stick in the basement for the time being. It's amazing that this 20yr old fridge is still running and our 6 year old fridge is not, but I digress!

So today was not all in all a failure. Did I do everything I wanted to get done? No. But I did make a significant dent in the weekly project of cleaning the closet, and I cleaned off the annoying laundry chair. My husband agreed to the new laundry arrangement (I'll fold, he'll put away), so hopefully the laundry chair will never again be the laundry chair. RIP Laundry Chair!

Oh, and I just noticed that my broken drawer is in the kitchen pictures. In case you're curious, there used to be gum and mints in that drawer. My youngest, a candy fiend, would constantly get in the drawer and try to steal the treats. One day I found him with six pieces of gum, still in the wrapper, shoved in his mouth. The treats were moved, but he never caught on. On Christmas Eve he pulled the front clean off. Hopefully a fix is in the near future!

3 comments:

  1. Nice! My mom got me one of those Big Top things...we'll see how it goes.

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wanted one of those Big Cupcake kits, but now I'm thinking... not so much. It does not look quite as advertised!

    ReplyDelete