Friday, January 8, 2010

What I've Learned in a Week

It's been a week since I set up this blog. I was unable to update yesterday or earlier today because my wireless router is broken and I can't sneak away for 30 minutes to work on a post. So throughout the day I thought about everything I've learned in the week that I've been blogging. Here are some of the tidbits...

Cleaning is NOT Difficult

What?!?! This goes against everything I've ever held near and dear to my heart! Cleaning is sooo hard and time consuming... I just want to relax when I get home from work! But in all reality, cleaning is not a big deal. The little things that need done every day are not difficult. It's not hard to clean up in the kitchen while you cook or load the dishwasher after you're finished eating. My kids eat slow. The table is five feet from the dishwasher. I can still be interacting with them and enjoying a good time after I finish eating if I'm loading the dishwasher. There's no reason to NOT do it!

Cleaning Saves Money

This is extremely important as my husband and I are dead broke right now. And why are we dead broke? Because we've been financially irresponsible. I complain that I don't have anything to wear, he sends me to the store to buy new clothes, I go and do it. But in reality, I don't need any new clothes. I have a closet filled with clothing that I just couldn't get to or find. Now that my closet is accessible and my dresser drawers are organized, I can see just how many amazing pieces of clothing I have.

It's also true with my husband. Just the other day he was saying he needed to go buy some new shirts for work, to the tune of roughly $25.00 a piece. When cleaning out the closet, I found at least three nearly brand new work shirts that had been lost over the past few months in the deep, dark, abyss that was our closet.

We also save money on food when the kitchen is clean. A lot of our stupidity debt is from fast food. We'd be home thinking about what to make for dinner and my husband or I would say something along the lines of "hey, let's just get take-out... it's easier than trying to cook in here or making the mess worse!" How stupid and irresponsible!

I expect that this new, clean me will save use quite a few dollars.

It's Common Sense

The things that I am realizing that need to be done or ways to complete household tasks are basically common sensical. Readers have made amazing comments that make me say "oh my gosh... WHYYYYYY didn't I think of that before?!" These little things are really easy, common sensical things that can be incorporated into anyone's daily life and daily routine.

I Love Accountability

It's amazing! Today I've had the least amount of hits on here since I opened this blog, but even so it's still several dozen people. Several dozen people are out there reading this, watching to see if this will be a successful venture or a failure. At the end of the day, I know that I'll be taking pictures and showing the world (or at least a few dozen people), how my home looks. This is where I live, where my children crawl on the floor. I'm through with being embarassed about how my home looks. I'm finished with that.

There is no excuse, there is no reason for my home to be destroyed. Absolutely none. But for today, and for the next few weeks I am sure, the baby steps continue. Is my house spotless? No. It takes more than a week to deep clean a home on just an hour or so a day. Will my house be spotless? It will never be a show home because, let's face it, children make that impossible. But it will be presentable, and it will be clean.

Sorry there are no pictures today (I know, even after I wrote about accountability! lol!). My wireless router is not working properly (any suggestions? It just stopped working yesterday!), so I'm tied to the upstairs internet line and have absolutely no motivation to go downstairs and get the camera to load pictures. But tomorrow, being a saturday, will give me plenty of time to upload pictures and show you what I've been doing these past two days.

3 comments:

  1. Amber, I've been reading your posts with interest. As the working mother of a small son, I can attest to the need for daily home maintenance in order to keep things from getting overwhelming. The photos you've posted show that you're really committed to this, and I hope it continues to go well. Keep up the good work - there are a lot of moms who can relate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate! Your blog has motivated me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing a fantastic job! Keep it up!

    I still think you should really think about decluttering some of those toys as that would make your life much easier in the long run.

    ReplyDelete